Cathedral Church of the Resurrection
Historians say that in 1595 the first church in Lahore had built near Lahore Fort. In the era of the Mughal Empire, when Portuguese Jesuit missionaries were attending his court. Akbar invited it (1556-1605) because there were three Jesuit missions to his Mughal court. It was the third mission, and Father Jerome Xavier (1549-1617) led it when he arrived in Lahore in 1595. In 1595, Emperor Akbar granted formal Permission for the construction of a church near Lahore Fort. But it had closed on the order of Emperor Jahangir in 1614 and re-opened again in 1624. In 1632 Emperor Shah Jahan completely destroyed the Church. Various missions in Lahore had been continued living and preaching. Brithish Ruler again established this Church after two centuries in Lahore.
The Cathedral Church of resurrection is today the largest Anglican diocese in South Asia. In the city Lahore Center of Lahore diocese was carved out by the Diocese of Calcutta back at the time 1877 .
Also called Lahore cathedral, the Anglican Cathedral was built-in 1887 near mall road and opposite Lahore High Court in the heart of Lahore. By the Church of
Pakistan, the seat of Diocese of Lahore city, is this Cathedral. This Building was completed in 1887, and on 25 January 1887, it was consecrated in a Neo-Gothic style of architecture. Architect John Oldrid Scott (son of George Gilbert Scott) in 1887 originally built this Cathedral out of pink sandstone. It is nowadays also called Kuku Girja by the inhabitants of Lahore, who are called Lahoris.
Ancient Saint Thomas Cross:
Ancient Saint Thomas Cross of Saint Thomas Christians excavated in the site of the ancient city of Sirkap in 1935, is now there in this Cathedral Church of the Resurrection (Lahore Cathedral), and that is the Treasure of this Cathedral. Cathedral’s stained glass windows, pipe organ, and a clock, Structure built-in 1862 is well known and worth watching. Besides that, the bells and bells are the trademarks of many Cathedrals; Cathedral Church of the Resurrection has six change-ringing bells that arrived from England back then. It had to be eight, but only six came then, which were cast by John Taylor & Co of Loughborough in 1903. The largest bell used to vibrate foundations is weighs a ton, and they were the only ‘ringable’ peal of church bells on the whole continent of Asia till 2019.
Another essential possession of the Cathedral, which is currently not in use these days, is a huge organ. A regular visitor to the church, Roy Menzies, said, in 1982, it was last used. His exact words were: “The melodious tunes of this organ is still remembered by me. in 1982, it was Sir Griffin James who played this organ the last time.
Once you enter the main door, you will be amazed by its gothic features of arcade, height, wooden roof, Traceries, tainted glass windows, and piers. Its main hall consists of a nave which is the central part of the church building. Nave has side aisles.
C. This Altar has a table with a golden background containing components used for ritual and is located at the eastern half.
There is also an Orchestra room like most Cathedrals. It is the most damaged part of the Cathedral. The rainwater coming from it damaged this room extended to a large area. The damaged roof and termites, including the orchestra floor, many internals, and the wooden regions.
Located on Mall Road, this Cathedral Church of Ressurection has a breathtaking structure and is worth seeing the monument. This road itself has a history. British rulers developed it. So I can say the whole neighborhood of this Cathedral has an account, and it is a must-see place. Along with this Cathedral, some of the names are High Court of Lahore, Punjab University, Atchison College, Town Hall, Montgomery Hall, General Post Office, Zamzama Guns, also known as Bhangianwali or Kims Guns. The Cathedral also has a missionary school adjacent to it, Called Lahore Cathedral School.